[FX.php List] [OFF-TOPIC] A bug discovery in OS X Server and OS X 10.4 installers

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue May 22 17:45:08 MDT 2007

> I'd be concerned it's a hardware issue, especially if you're using
> it as a server.  I've formatted drives on all numbers of machines,
> including Intel boxes, with Disk Utility from the installer disc.

That was my original concern, but they checked the machine, found
nothing wrong with either drive or machine itself. He took the RAM
out, tested them one by one, ran it overnight, found nothing. He ran
every diagnostic that he had, because I kept insisting that there was
a problem, and he couldn't find it because he didn't reenact the
install the way that I had; he had already initialized the drive from
his startup HD, so the problem was gone.

I made it happen 3 times in a row when I was testing... always the
same. Have you tried installing OS X Server 10.4.7 on one of the new
quad-core Macs? This may be machine-specific; I never had this
problem on any of my other OS X Server machines.