[FX.php List] Anyone using XSLT anymore?

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Sep 20 12:05:39 MDT 2006

Dan,

My sentiments exactly; why is it a silly solution?, and what does any
sort of template have to do with anything? This can't be done with
templates. The HTML that I'm displaying MUST be displayed from the
original Word documents; I can't recreate it from within FileMaker
(I've already been all over that with the client, and I've been
working with this company for years).

> I'm wondering what a template engine has to do with this at all?
> Why suggest using a templating system?
>
> I'm all for smarty and I use it myself for its template system AND
> its caching mechanisms. But, the problem Bob describes is not one
> that would be helped by using a template system alone - a basic
> template system (without caching) is simply a way for developers to
> keep php code and HTML as separate as possible.

And there's no way to use templates with this. Originally, I
suggested using templates and creating the pages on the fly, but it's
not doable. The reports are generated from a FileMaker solution he
wrote years ago, and after the report's generated, he has to double-
check syntax in every report before he's finished with it (I didn't
write that part of it). Then, these Word reports, which are 20+
pages, are converted to Word, and we've been parsing them into HTML
and have this huge static HTML site that we're trying to change.

> The problem has to do with the speed of FMP when faced with
> spitting out large strings from the database.
>
> Since by all accounts you are an experienced PHP and FX developer,
> i would love to hear more detail about why do you say the proposed
> HTML file hybrid solution sounds "silly"? Is there some fatal flaw
> being overlooked?

Me too; it's generally accepted (at least, in my understanding) that
storing photos externally is the way to deal with photos and
FileMaker. Why is this any different when these HTML files get really
huge?

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954