[FX.php List] Entering Data in repeating field

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Mon Jul 24 20:56:58 MDT 2006

On 25/7/06 12:17 PM, "Jon Montgomery" <vicepresident at onecliq.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>     Have been working with FX and PHP for about a month.  The longer I work,
> the more I find I do not know.  In a FileMaker data base, how do you code to
> enter data into a repeating field.
>
>     Example- Data base that enters students in a music contest.  Some records
> have single first and last name for a solo performance.  Where other records
> require as many as 20 first names and 20 last names for lets say a quartet.
>
>     How do you enter that info into FileMaker via FX and php?
>
>     I do enjoy reading all of the list question and answers even if I do not
> understand them yet.
>
> Jon Montgomery

I¹ve never had to enter data into a repeating field via the web, but I¹ve
certainly had to pull data out. As far as I remember, you access repeating
fields thusly:

$value[³fieldName1²][0];

... where the [0] represents the repeated data. For example,

$value[³fieldName1²][1];

... would represent the repeating field¹s second value.

So, I¹d access repeating field values with something like this:

foreach ($ReturnedData['data'] as $key => $value)
{
    $i = 0;
    while ($i < 20)
    {
        echo $value[ŒrepeatingField¹][$i] . ³<br />\n²;
        $i++;
    }
}

This is all of the top of my head of course, so it¹s completely untested (I
no longer seem to have the code I once used to do this on a working web
page). Also, as I said, it¹s only designed to retrieve data from repeating
fields, as an example of how to access them. I¹m a bit under the weather
today, so my brain won¹t stretch to nutting out an example of writing to one
at the moment.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies.  The College does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the College.