[FX.php List] Performance issues with FM's xml interface

Michael Layne fx at 9degrees.com
Tue Sep 27 18:19:07 MDT 2005

Dennis,

First, as for FileMaker, I've worked on several projects where we
EXPECTED 7 to be faster than 6, and it in fact was not.  That is
another issue/debate, but when building solutions via XML (FX.php)
for the web, I always take the following steps:

- create a separate layout for anything that is called via XML.
- only place pertinent, necessary fields in the layout.  related
fields are fine, but use only what you need...  you want it
practically naked, it's so spartan.
     (* remember, if you have related fields that are not always a
'valid' relationship, place them in portals)
- summary fields slow things down, as well as anything that slows
down FMP.  It's hard if you have a primarily FMP client based
solution, but I usually try to do all logic, calculations, etc within
PHP.  When it comes to the web, it helps to think of FMP as a place
to store data whenever you can.  I start that way, then add the
necessary FMP functionality.

HTH,

Michael