[FX.php List] [OFF] Antivirus software on a Windows web server?

Malcolm Fitzgerald malcolm at notyourhomework.net
Tue May 31 23:11:39 MDT 2016

Why would you not? You'll lose a few clock cycles to forensic processes.
In return you obtain a higher level of security and decrease the risk of
malfeasance.

The flip side is that you ignore the risk. When an unwanted event occurs
you'll have to show that real benefits were obtained during the period
before the machine was compromised. That shouldn't be hard, they'll be
obvious to everyone and would have been used to rationalise the decision
to go without antivirus software in the first place. The appropriate
questions at that point will be, was enough benefit obtained to justify
the repair costs and the downtime incurred, and will you continue to
support the policy of running the server in the same fashion?

good luck,

malcolm