[FX.php List] [OFF] FM API Standalone [WAS: Some Community Updates]

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 31 12:30:03 MST 2014

Hi Bev

You mention the need to "revise other's sites using any (or all) of these web applications".  This was a concern brought up by Steve Thoms on this list back in June when we were (again) discussing frameworks:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Jun 20, 2013, at 2:28 PM, Steven Thoms wrote:

> So, it's clear frameworks are preferred here, and I use them, and largely agree.
>
> That said, I often choose to write procedural code for a simple reason; more people can pick it up, read through it and solve a problem. When I have a small client, with a limited budget, I think the kindest, long term solution is to write a neat, well-commented procedural experience. This gives them many more options in future, after I'm gone. If the code is well commented, I believe a novice can often go in, take a peak and maybe avoid spending a bunch of money hiring a big gun with big tools.
>
> Security often overrides this calculus, but I wanted to inject the simplicity point for discussion.
>
> - Steve

I'm the first to admit I have minimal experience w/ frameworks, but I've also inherited a couple projects that used them.  One used a self-written framework that I just could not understand and in the end I had to turn away the project.  The other at least used a known framework that had documentation & a support community.

a) Do you find that knowing at least one framework well allows you to fairly easily adapt to other frameworks if/when necessary?

b) In general, at what point might we be doing a disservice to our clients when we -- as the already small pond of FileMaker/CWP devs -- add yet another layer of software(?) onto our clients' projects?  It seems something like jQuery is quite common/standard (although that's started changing now too), but when it's Cake vs Laravel vs CodeIgniter vs home-grown vs..., are we just making it harder for our clients if they ever need to switch away from us as their developers?

-Joel