[FX.php List] Credit Card Reader for mobile device + web publishing

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Mar 20 14:32:04 MDT 2013

On Mar 20, 2013, at 2:57 PM, Anders Monsen <andersm at mac.com> wrote:

> The script you run from Fm Go would then parse the data from the card, and send the valid information. What I was looking for when I wrote this wasn't necessarily CC info, but rather badge reading methods. What I discovered when reading cards, was the different credit cards would return information formatted in different ways, so your script probably would need to be able to ID the type, and then parse the values accordingly. All text parsing, I think.

I have 2 different methods that i use for parsing cards--one works for Visa/MC/Discover, and the other works for amex, which is a 15-digit card number.

> I think the better option would be to push CC data from CardSwipe to a web server with a PHP page via a web viewer, and you then can use an API that works for PHP to process the CC info, return data to FMP (Go), to receive confirmation. This would be akin to processing via a web site, but all handled within FM Go and the connection to the server. However, there are potential issues with connectivity to consider, which I have not tried.

That's exactly what I have in mind; the swiper is just a text-input device, captures the data strings. Track two is necessary with the gateway that we use, so I parse that one as well. Then, with the track 1 data, I parse out the card number, pass it to a PHP page that is what we use to run cards on one of their web apps, and then return the results for input into the database.

I'll be trying this at some point; I'm going to ask my client to buy one of these swipers, and assuming it works like I expect, I'll report on the results. I'm glad to see a swiper that's tied to a particular gateway.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
FileMaker 9, 10 & 11 Certified Developer
Twitter: bobpatin
AIM: longterm1954
iChat: bobpatin
--