[FX.php List] [off] Trying to send mail thru Gmail

NSPA/ACP webmaster at studentpress.org
Wed Jan 2 12:05:34 MST 2013

> I'm trying to send email from PHP using a Gmail account (and their server) and have had zero luck...

Bob,

Did you ever figure this out? I'm still using the old FMStudio Email Module for sending emails, and I can't see where/how to specify SSL in the FMStudio part of the module or the PEAR Mail part.

I think SSL is enabled in my PHP install and port 465 isn't blocked on the server.

If I use port 587, which was the port I used with our previous email provider, with smtp.gmail.com, I get a quick, standard-looking error response, but if I use 465 I see a lengthy timeout process, followed by a more cryptic error message.

The link that Steve Winter provided references PHPMailer, so maybe I need to switch to that. I don't use FMStudio at all anymore, but some of their code is still hanging around in places where I haven't had any need to update it.

Thanks,
Marc Wood
Mpls.