[FX.php List] Connecting PHP Web Pages with ODBC

dealTek dealtek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 12:14:45 MDT 2013

On Apr 25, 2013, at 9:55 AM, John Funk <csinfo at criticalsolution.com> wrote:

> When creating records  with Fx you have to be sure and use an optimized layout created just for that purpose. Do not use fields that you do not need. With FX all information is inserted/extracted using the Fmresult xml file and that file is created by what fields are on the layout you are using in the query.
> I have created millions of records with a layout that has 3 of 34 fields and it was very fast. Another hint is to not have related or portals on the layout, if you need to create records in a related field of to a layout for that table using a key. The PHP code seems clunky but I found it to be fast.
> I also have seen ODBC queries  take a long time especially when modifying a found set.
>
> The best thing about FX is NO DRIVERS are required so it is more flexible and you can actually use PHP command lines in DOS or MacOS bash commands.
> John
>
> From: Glyn Devine <glyn.devine at quickseries.com>
> Date: Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:28 AM
> To: "FX.php Discussion List" <fx.php_list at mail.iviking.org>
> Subject: Re: [FX.php List] Connecting PHP Web Pages with ODBC
>
> ODBC will definitely be faster than FX. FX is dead slow when writing records. You are generally talking multiple seconds per record created.
>
> To use ODBC to write to filemaker in PHP, you will need to install the FileMaker ODBC driver on the same machine PHP is running on. The driver that comes with FileMaker 11 will work fine. I do not recommend the FileMaker-created ODBC drivers from FileMaker discs prior to version 11 – these also have some pretty terrible speed problems.
>
> Good luck!

Hi John Glyn & Dale,

Thanks for all the helpful tips.

The thing I am still in the dark about is how to write the php to access the filemaker database with ODBC?

So, as a test I have succesfully created an odbc connection to a (localhost) filemaker database (I also will use fmserver soon).

Now I would like to know a way - using PHP to setup a connection to the filemaker database and perform queries from a local webpage.

Here's some connection info...

ip = xxx.xxx.xxx.??? - any special port
USER DSN = test1
database = MyDB

I just don't know how to write the ODBC connection code in PHP?

Any ideas?

--
Thanks,
Dave - DealTek