[FX.php List] Re-That sinking feeling: FileMaker 12 & FX ?

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed May 9 08:55:49 MDT 2012

On May 9, 2012, at 9:52 AM, Dale Bengston wrote:

> I think the answer is "it depends." The inclusion of any portals or even related fields on a layout affects performance more and more as the record count goes up. At some point, that time hit passes the extra time needed for a separate query.

Which is why I've always gone to the related table rather than pulled a portal; like you said, you pull a whole list of records when you do that, rather than just the related record(s) you might want.

I've never shied away from having "serial queries..." :)

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
FileMaker 9, 10 & 11 Certified Developer
Twitter: bobpatin
Google+: http://www.longtermsolutions.com/plus
AIM: longterm1954
iChat: bobpatin