[FX.php List] [OFF] Looking for information about a load-balancing system

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Fri Jun 15 12:31:39 MDT 2012

Bob,

So the goal is 100% uptime and to keep the serving business in-house, eh?

I have used a DNS failover service from DNSMadeEasy.com, although
other firms offer the same service.  Your DNS is managed by the firm
who polls the availability of the target servers. If one server goes
offline, it switched to the other.

Two issues: how long does it take to detect the downed server? Their
web site says 2-4 minutes. That is not 100% uptime. Also, you would
have to have a server running somewhere else, probably at a colo
facility. You can still consider it your servers.

Hey, here's an idea...you can run your secondary on my servers and I
can run my secondary on yours.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Schwartz