[FX.php List] Generating Safe links to Database Records

Tim 'Webko' Booth tim at nicheit.com.au
Wed Jan 18 16:21:11 MST 2012

On 17/01/2012, at 11:02 AM, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

> This morning I was testing a routine and the results looked odd.
> After some head-scratching I increased the modification number on
> the record and got the right results. The record id returned by FX
> consists of the internal record ID and it's modification number. The
> modification number is inherently unstable.
>
> I want to be able to generate links to records in the database that
> do not rely on the modification number. How does FX handle this?

To answer this question - I don't use the -recid to link to records to
be viewed via the web. I have a unique web id for most accessible web
databases (which is usually also the primary key I use for
relationships).

That key itself is some form of UUID so that simply incrementing
numbers does not allow people to view other records easily - which is
also a weakness in exposing the -recid, as it does follow a simple
incrementation rule (with some exceptions).

Cheers

Webko