[FX.php List] MVC

Leo R. Lundgren leo at finalresort.org
Fri Jan 13 10:19:48 MST 2012

For PHP I use Yii (yiiframework.com). Settled on it after having looked for good PHP frameworks some years ago. I narrowed it all down to Kohana and Yii at that point, started with Yii, and haven't looked back so far.

I have been writing my own PHP code (using MVC and other patterns) but my opinion nowadays is that unless you are doing very small or the occasional app(s) then it's better to settle on a framework in general.

Pros for using a framework (off the top of my head):

- Sustainability; You don't need to maintain all of it yourself, it will be maintained and evolved by many others as well. Also, would the client prefer their systems being built on something for which there is a world-wide community and often commercial support, or something that is a one-man show? :D

- Quality; A well designed framework probably has a way better design and quality than what you would produce yourself (not you in particular, I mean in general of course).

- Security; Used by many others, if there are security issues chances are they will be discovered by legitimate users/developers rather than the occasional script kiddie running SQL injection tools on your site (this doesn't all that much apply to FileMaker-connected applications though, unless you work with it via SQL of course).

- Well documented; A good framework should have good documentation (for its entire API), and how many writing their own PHP code for non-big applications actually do this? Not many I think. Makes it easier for others to take care of the project if/when needed.

- Most often there are soo many features in the framework that you don't have to spend weeks reinventing the wheel to get the same functionality in your own code. And considering the amount of extensions that usually blossom with a good framework there's even more functionality to enjoy.

Cons:

- I really can't think of any just like that. Thinking that one is locked into a specific coding style and API by using a framework isn't very relevant; One is just as much locked in when writing ones own code, and it also leads back to the "Well documented" point above.

Am I missing any obvious pros/cons?

To answer your question, sometimes I work with others on projects, but usually I am the only developer on the project (being a solo consultant).

13 jan 2012 kl. 18.01 skrev BEVERLY VOTH:

> Because every framework I've tested has been OVERLY complex and unnecessary (IMHO) <smile>. I've worked with others on the same project and I've worked on projects with just me. I've been able to duplicate projects and with a few adjustments, use a lot of the same "framework" that I used the last time. I've been able to port code from Witango (tango) to Coldfusion to PHP with find/replace. Can't often say that with "frameworks"... :)
>
> What do you use, Leo? Do you work with a team of developers on a project, or do you do it all yourself?
>
> Beverly
>
> On 13 Jan 2012, at 11:41 AM, Leo R. Lundgren wrote:
>
>> Why not use a framework to get an even better experience? :-)

-|