[FX.php List] ODBC Selects and Inserts VS FX/XML Speed test

BEVERLY VOTH beverlyvoth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 09:09:01 MDT 2012

thanks, John! so you did not use PHP or other web app to make the ODBC calls to FM?

I did a few projects with ColdFusion (I know I know, sacrilege on *this* list!) with ODBC to FMS. I have to say I really like the "zippiness". :)

But with any database and any web application, I still try to OPTIMIZE by
	* caching things that don't need a direct db call every time (product description text in a cart, for example can be pushed to an include once - or when changed) and called from the web-app instead of the database
	* caching common value lists (state abbreviations and names, for example, or any list that doesn't change frequently)
	* storing images NOT in db, but let the web server do what it does best (serve FILES of all types), by referencing the location
	* let the web app do the "heavy lifting" (instead of scripts, use the web app - and YES, I know that's *more* work...)

These tips bring up the speed every time, whether using ODBC or xml!
Beverly

>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org