[FX.php List] Odd problem with POST values

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Thu Aug 16 11:54:18 MDT 2012

Bob,

I would isolate the process to the major three technologies involved:
	1) Pure HTML POST (no php)
	2) POST with php
	3) POST (with php) and Save to FileMaker with fx.
	4) Same as #3, but use FMP WPE API

If the test 1 fails, you know it is not php related.
if test 2 fails, you know it is not php related.
if test 3 fails, it suggests that fx.php might be the problem.
Test 4 helps confirm #3.

My 2 cents.

>Hey Chris,
>
>Well, if I POST <800 characters, either spread into 3 or 4 separate
>fields, or in a single field (all of these are type TEXTAREA), the
>page loads, writes to FileMaker, all is well.
>
>If I post 800 characters or more, the page never loads, I get the
>dreaded white screen, meaning there's something going on. Nothing
>back from FX, so the query isn't getting done.
>
>If I trace the progress of the page, I do see that the PHP script
>starts to load; it seems to choke when it tries to pull in the
>posted text...
>
>I'm waiting to hear back from my client to see if the change to the
>PHP.ini file makes any difference...
>
>I'm not trying to upload anything, by the way, just POSTing text.
>I've tried plain text, pasted text from Word, but both fail equally
>dismally... :)
>
>BP
>

>Bob Patin
>Longterm Solutions LLC
><mailto:bob at longtermsolutions.com>bob at longtermsolutions.com
>615-333-6858
><http://www.longtermsolutions.com>http://www.longtermsolutions.com
>FileMaker 9, 10 & 11 Certified Developer
>Member of FileMaker Business Alliance and FileMaker TechNet
>--
>Twitter: bobpatin
>Google+:
><http://www.longtermsolutions.com/plus>http://www.longtermsolutions.com/plus
>AIM: longterm1954
>iChat: bobpatin
>--
>Expert FileMaker Consulting
>FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
>
>On Aug 16, 2012, at 10:07 AM, Chris Hansen
><<mailto:chris at iViking.org>chris at iViking.org> wrote:
>
>>Bob,
>>
>>How exactly does that post fail?  Is an error returned?  Is there
>>something in the log?  (I'd be especially interested to know what's
>>in the Apache logs.)  It seems like there should be something,
>>somewhere that says "upload failed due to x".
>>
>>Best,

Jonathan Schwartz
Exit 445 Group
jonathan at exit445.com