[FX.php List] Odd problem with POST values

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Aug 15 14:34:47 MDT 2012

I have a client for whom I've written a form with 7 textarea fields, into which the submitter types in some sentences.

Here's what I can see:

If I put 800 or more characters in any one field, the subsequent processing page fails;

If I put a total of more than 800 characters into multiple fields (200 characters each in 4 different fields), it fails;

If I put 700 characters (either in a single field or spread across several input textareas), it succeeds;

when I say that it fails, what happens is that my PHP page doesn't ever finish loading, and we see a white screen.

Is there a limit to how many characters TOTAL you can put into a POST form? I know that GET strings have a limit, but I thought that you could put a large amt. of text into textarea fields?

Let me know if you can help me with this strange problem; thanks,

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
FileMaker 9, 10 & 11 Certified Developer
Twitter: bobpatin
Google+: http://www.longtermsolutions.com/plus
AIM: longterm1954
iChat: bobpatin