[FX.php List] Google-type search across tables?

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 3 18:36:37 MDT 2012

Hello again all

I just thought I'd share what I've come up with for this -- at least for now -- which I think is pretty cool ;)

I pass the search criteria to an FM script.  The script loops through various layouts and on each does a Perform Quick Find script step and then places the table name and found count into a return-delimited global field.  The script ends on a single record on a layout with just the one global field, so the FMS XML output is just that one field.

I put links and basic html tags into the global field so I end up with a nav list of where the search term exists, broken out by table.  No concatenated fields.  No multiple queries to the database.  No moving data into MySQL...  And just one field on one record is what gets returned.

It's surprisingly fast.  It does need FMS11.

It might not be what everyone wants in a "google-type" search, but it should suit this client very well.

Best,
-Joel

(I'll probably put up a blog post on this.)