[FX.php List] [Off] Catching permissions error in FMP

Troy Meyers tcmeyers at troymeyers.com
Tue Nov 1 09:44:08 MDT 2011

Not an FX issue, but I know you are experts...

In desktop FMP I have a certain table set with a custom privilege (for regular users) for limited editing, where it's allowed only if Date = Get ( CurrentDate ).

Today's records can be edited by them with no trouble. But when a prior-day's record is being worked on, if a value is selected and a change is attempted, the warning box comes up:

"Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action."

I'd like a better message for the user. I know that this is a Get ( LastError ) = 200, but I can't figure out how to catch this. I've tried some Layout script triggers, but no dice. I did NOT try doing a OnKeystroke on each field (since that didn't work on Layout) because I've got to think there is some more elegant, one-spot solution to catch this so that the default warning isn't shown, and my custom dialog is.

Any ideas?

-Troy