[FX.php List] Issue with Mac OS X, Latest Java Update and FileMaker Server Console

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at mac.com
Mon Mar 14 16:39:35 MDT 2011

Hi Kevin

On Mar 14, 2011, at 6:24 PM, Kevin Futter wrote:

> Thanks for the heads-up Roger. I've just discovered that I've been bitten
> by it too. Let's hope someone can this sorted out quickly.

I have received this message below from the FMPro list - it worked for me...

Roger

==================
Hi Roger,

In http://techtalk.filemaker.com/?14@@.59c3f70d#6

Nicholas Orr came up with the fix shown below.  I had the same problem on a MacBook Pro and this resolved it for me.  So far I have not had any negative issues from doing this.

Hope it is helpful.
Bruce Herbach

-------------- Forwarded Email from Nicholas Orr -------------------------------------
There is a workaround if you've installed the Latest Mac OS update already.

You can download a copy of the previous Java update here :

http://supportdownload.apple.com/download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/Mac_OS_X/downloads/061-8453.201019.Jva3w/JavaForMacOSX10.6Update3.dmg

By default you can't install it manually, you need a copy of an app called Pacifist that you can download here :

http://www.charlessoft.com/

Open the .pkg file with Pacifist, select the package and click the Install button. Check the box for User Administrator Privileges. It will ask you about files that already exist, select the replace option and click the checkbox for "Don't Ask Again". There will be two of those dialogs.

I've run this on a new install where Java Update 4 won't allow me to run the deployment assistant at all. After I went through this, the assistant ran fine, but your mileage may vary. Obviously be wary doing this on live servers.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick