[FX.php List] Server is busy...please try again

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Mon Nov 8 17:21:35 MST 2010

Hi folks.

"Server is busy...please try again".

You might see this message on a sophisticated airlines reservation
web site, but not if a Filemaker web server is too busy or has a
problem. The browser just times out.  This can be a real problem if a
multi-step operation fails to finish before the time out.

I need to install a fix for this eventuality for one client. My plan
is to set a flag in an existing customer record before starting the
operation and then resetting the flag upon completion.  Any flags
that remain set indicate a potential problem. This is possible when
you are editing an existing record.  I am going to do that straight
away.

NOTE: We have learned (the hard way) that the answer is *not* to
increase the browser expiration time. When there is a web server
problem, the last thing you want to do is stack up queries that don't
expire.  This *will* crash the web server if it hasn't already done
so.

But back to the "Server is busy...please try again" option....

Would this involve having one server talking to a second server where
the first server can return the friendly message before the browser
times out?  Or, is this a job for javascript?  Has anyone done this
before? I'm sure that it is commonplace in many industries, but is
not in my bag of tricks yet.

Thanks

Jonathan

--