[FX.php List] Script executes, but hangs web page

Bradley Creamer creamerbradley at fhda.edu
Mon Nov 1 15:38:14 MDT 2010

HI Jon,

Thank you for your email response.

I agree completely, that's why this script is available only to admins
of the system reviewing user delete requests.

The script doesn't use a global field/variable. I only call it to delete
the found record set. The way the Web page acts, it doesn't seem to
return any response that the script has completed it's run.

I posted my question to the FileMaker forums. Let's see if I get a hit
there on possible problems to look for.

Thanks,
Bradley

On 10/29/2010 7:11 PM, Jon & Jane Montgomery wrote:
> Bradley,
>     All of my experience with FX.PHP and the web are related to my
> real job in education, and I have not always practiced what I am about
> to preach.  But having read almost every post on this site since I
> started work with FX three or more years ago, I have picked up a lot
> of good information, but because of my real job in life, teaching kids
> music, have not had time to use them all, yet.  So here are a couple
> of things to think about and then some of the true geniuses on here,
> and they are geniuses, will give you more detailed or better ways.
>
>     I learned from my first time using FX.PHP that Global fields from
> FileMaker do not work well on the web, sometimes not at all, so I have
> I have always avoided them like the plague. So there are ways around
> that to accomplish the same thing as a Global field.
>
>     I have also learned from the real geniuses here, but still do not
> practice this as of yet, that it is not the always the best thing to
> let web users delete anything in your database.  But as an
> alternative, MARK them for deletion by setting a field.  It is my
> understanding then you hide those records from the user, so the appear
> deleted, and then you, or the database administer routinely deletes
> those records.  As I understand it, that will keep the web user from
> deleting records that really should not be deleted.  Again, I have not
> put that into practice in my own system yet.  My apologies to Tim
> "Webko" Booth, it is on the list just have not gotten to it yet. ;-)
>
>     As to the hang your are getting, my guess is that the global the
> problem.  If I am wrong, someone will correct me.
>
> Jon Montgomery, soon to be retired middle school band director hoping
> to turn FileMaker/Web developer
>

> On 10/29/10 6:32 PM, "Bradley Creamer" <creamerbradley at fhda.edu> wrote:
>
>     HiFX folks,
>
>      I have a script that deletes a found set of records. I've found
>     the script executes fine from a Web page call, but the resulting
>     Web page hangs, in other words, after many seconds, a blank page
>     is returned.
>
>      Having converted the database from FMP6 to FMP11/FMPSA11, I've
>     updated the script to have the "Confirm" statement and I even
>     added the "Exit Script" directive after that; still it hangs.
>
>      But, again, the script does execute in the background, deleting
>     all found records, so I'm pretty sure I have the permissions set
>     correctly. However, I set a global field to capture script results
>     (as stated in the "Exit Script" directive) but nothing is captured.
>
>      So, it's deleting the found records, not returning the result,
>     and hangs the Web page.
>
>      Any thoughts? Below is the script in it's entirety.
>
>      Thanks for any and all help,
>      Bradley

De Anza Web Team / Technology Resources Group (TRG)
webteam at deanza.edu <mailto:webteam at deanza.edu>