[FX.php List] Seeking improved "mail merge"

Gareth Evans gareth.evans at schawk.com
Fri Feb 19 09:27:10 MST 2010

This is the kind of thing I do when dealing with user created templates. It
will replace all {tags} with their corresponding value or remove the {tag}
if there is no value for the tag supplied.

<?php

$text = 'Dear {firstname} {lastname}.... {tag_with_no_tagValue_supplied}';

$tagValues = array();
$tagValues['firstname'] = 'John';
$tagValues['lastname'] = 'Doe';

echo mergeText($text, $tagValues);

function mergeText($text, $tagValues) {

    preg_match_all('/{(.*?)}/', $text, $matches);

    foreach($matches[1] as $tag) {
        $replaceStr = '';
        if (array_key_exists($tag, $tagValues)) {
            $replaceStr = $tagValues[$tag];
        }
        $text = str_replace('{'.$tag.'}', $replaceStr, $text);
    }
    return $text;
}
?>