[FX.php List] [OFF] Automated back up for wide variety of web sites

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Fri Feb 5 16:03:17 MST 2010

Hi Folks,

I'm scratching my head for a single solution that will help maintain
current backup of all my remote web site projects.  The web sites are
in various different environments:
	- OS X server environment that I control  (I have this
covered with retrospect server)
	- OS X server environment with FTP access only
	- Windows server environment with FTP access only
	- Linux server environment with FTP access only

While I can manage my own servers, it is the ones that I do not
control that are the challenge.

My only tool that serves all these environments is Dreamweaver's
Synchronize but it is not automated. My primary development tool is
BBEdit. I also use Interarchy for FTP.

I read about rsync as a good tool, but I don't believe this applies
to Windows server where accessis limited.

For reference, my primary goal is provide a safety net for clients
who might get in a bind after trashing their web site.  While the
remote sites might offer back/recovery, this is not to be relied upon.

Thanks for the help.

--
Jonathan Schwartz
Exit 445 Group