[FX.php List] [OFF] printable very wide table?

Andrew Denman adenman at tmea.org
Tue Dec 14 19:15:32 MST 2010

Joel,

It sounds like you're on the right track.  Since browsers won't print the full horizontal dimension of the page if it's too large, you have to go to PDF, Excel/csv, or use tricks.

The one trick I came across that might work for you is breaking up the columns into separate page-width-size tables (height doesn't matter) and making the screen-only CSS render them as 'inline tables'.  This will make them appear on the screen next to each other instead of on top of each other, but when it prints they will be on top of each other and you get all of your data (you will want a CSS page-break after each table to make sure each one starts on a new page).  The only caveat to this is you must have a consistent row height and column width or the separate tables won't line up horizontally (row height) and columns could be cut off of pages (column width).

Andrew Denman