[FX.php List] [off] SSL Certs

Andrew Denman adenman at tmea.org
Mon Dec 13 17:40:37 MST 2010

That will probably depend on the company that is using the certificate.  In my company's case, the people we do secure transactions with know who we are and have been with us for several years. For us, the perceived trust added by the EV SSL doesn't justify the cost since we already have our customer's trust.  We just need a way to secure the transaction.

For a company that is actively going after new customers and/or mainly sells items through their website, the EV SSL could be a differentiator, but I don't have any data to back that up.  It could also help a lesser known company appear more legitimate.  I probably wouldn't use it for sites where customers have a pre-existing or close relationship with the business (i.e.: Ford creating a dealer's web portal), or where you just have user accounts (i.e.: Facebook, Twitter).  Definitely not for non-web user facing servers (i.e.: mail server).

Apparently banks and other financial companies have not felt an urgent need for them, as a quick survey of my accounts indicates most of them don't use an EV SSL.  I also cannot find any information from non-CAs with data about regular vs. EV SSL and how it affects user's behavior, so I have no 'independent' analysis other than my thoughts.

Andrew Denman