[FX.php List] Server Admin Console and Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at mac.com
Tue Sep 1 05:16:58 MDT 2009

Answering self here...

> On associated thing that has bitten me is that I have FileMaker
> Server 9 running on Mac OS X 10.4.11 on an eMac.
>
> But I can't get at it using the FM Admin Console Java application
> from my MacBook on Snow Leopard - it loads the application and shows
> me the initial status page, but as soon as I click on anything to
> see Databases for example the Admin Console reports an error and
> closes.
>
> I guess this is something to do with Java versions - Snow Leopard
> only shows Java 6 in the Java Preferences Utility now, where Leopard
> shows J2SE 5 and Java 6, and I have to have J2SE 5 at the top of the
> list for Java Applications to connect to the Admin Console.
>
> But I do see a fix for this is available here
>
> http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters/fms_9.0.3.326_SSL_mac_update.html
>
> I'll install that tonight on the eMac and see if that allows me to
> connect with Java 6.

I installed the above mentioned update last night, and still can't get
the Admin console on a MacBook running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to
work properly. It launches and shows the opening screen OK. I can
click on the items in the lower part of the top left panel without
problems - Configuration, General Settings, Database Server, Web
Publishing ODBC/JDBC.

But as soon as I click on Items in the top Administration part -
Clients, Databases, Schedules I get a dialog

FileMaker Server Admin Console
Admin Server Connection Error:
An unknown error has occurred.
OK

and clicking OK closes the Admin Console.

The Server is an eMac running Mac OS X 10.4.11, and the version of
FiileMaker Server installed on it is 9.0.3.326.

Is anyone else having trouble with accessing the FileMaker Server
Admin Console from a Mac running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?

Thanks

Roger