[FX.php List] Back on the trail of automating database management

Steve Winter steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz
Fri Jun 19 03:44:29 MDT 2009

Hi ggt,

That's what I do to roll out the solution to a new instance, and that
works really well... the shell script then calls the FMS command line
tool and opens the database as well which allows for an activation
process which can be undertaken by sending a text message, which is
great...

But how would I do that and maintain user data... each of these
instances begins as a clone (via the above process) of a template
database, but how would I replace that templated database and maintain
the user data...? I guess I could develop a migration script which
reads each record, from each table of the 'old' structured database,
and pushes it into the 'new' structured database, but this is a BIG
solution, with tens of thousands of records in several of the
tables....??....??? I can see issues with auto-entered serial numbers
at the very least with that idea (though it's currently the best one
around so, thanks....)

Any other thoughts on this...?? having to manually create the same
table, with the same fields over and over again is doing my head in ;-)

Thanks
Steve

Steve Winter
steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz