[FX.php List] [OFF] SSL Cert problem on OS X Server

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Mon Jun 1 08:15:49 MDT 2009

I put server-wide SSL certs on all my web servers by purchasing a cert
that resolves to the domain name of the particular web server. By
doing this, my web clients can use the cert if they wish, without
having to buy one for their particular domain. So instead of their using

https://www.mydomain.com

they would use

https://xs7.longtermsolutions.com/mydomain/index.php

which takes them into their directory and to their site.

Here's the problem:

(This is in OS X Server 10.4.11)

I have a client who has bought his own cert for use on his site; no
matter where I put his site in the list of sites, it won't use his
cert, but instead invokes the "server-wide" cert.

If I put his site at the top of the list, all of the sites on the
server will try to use his certificate, which means an error message.

Is there a way to do what I am describing, or do I need to move him to
a server that doesn't have its own server-wide SSL cert?

Any help would be greatly appreciated; thanks,

bob at longtermsolutions.com
iChat: bobpatin
AIM: longterm1954
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer