[FX.php List] Shopping Carts - Keep in SessionVars or Add Records right away?

Head Honcho headhoncho at customikesolutions.com
Tue Jul 28 22:22:21 MDT 2009

Hi Jonathan,

On 29/07/2009, at 1:19 PM, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>
> My experience is that should be a business decision, not just a
> technical one.  Technically, it can be done either way with
> advantages and disadvantages for each.  However, the Client has to
> WANT to offer a richer shopping experience and/or be EAGER to data
> mine the abandoned shopping carts for possible clues why customer do
> what they do. Otherwise, saving the order data before the order is
> confirmed is a wasted effort...at least from a business stand point.
>
> My 2¢.

Not wanting to be contrary, but, in my mind, there's no "wasted
effort" in saving the cart data before the order is confirmed...
there's the same amount of coding in both.  One you need to keep track
of line items in session variables, the other you need to keep track
of items in the database. The only "effort" is in deleting "dead"
items/orders.

But I agree, it needs to be a business decision.

Regards

Michael Ward
--
Head Honcho