[FX.php List] [OFF] Strange SSL cert occurrences...

Longterm Solutions info at longtermsolutions.com
Sun Jan 11 11:14:16 MST 2009

Here's my latest conundrum with setting up this new site:

I have a global SSL cert on all of my web servers, that clients can
use on their sites. It is pointed to the root of the web server's
documents folder, rather than a specific site folder, so that anyone
on the server can invoke it by configuring their URL properly. Works
great, been doing this for years...

However, my new client wanted his own SSL cert so that the domain name
at the top wouldn't ever change while someone was on the site. So I
installed his new cert, and it worked perfectly...

But it stopped the *other* cert from working. So I changed the order
of the sites, putting the "global" cert listing at the top of the
list, and again the global cert works properly.

It seems that, since the "global" cert is global to the whole
webserver folder, that it somehow takes precedence over the site-
specific one.

I'm using virtual hosting, as I've done for 12 years; when someone
puts in a domain name, the web server takes them to the appropriate
folder, based on the domain name.

But what is happening is this: someone types in this other domain name
(the one which has its own cert), and although they get to the
appropriate site folder, the web server invokes the other certificate.

So, I took a static IP address (I have a block of 60) that I wasn't
using, assigned it to the "global" domain name, which is
ssl3.longtermsolutions.com, and everything started working perfectly.

It *seems* that when you use virtual hosting, the domain name that has
its own cert will for some strange reason "default" to the global
cert, even though it's been assigned its own cert. Then, when the two
domain names are separated by IP, it all cleans up.

What a pain...

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
Twitter: bobpatin
iChat/AIM: bobpatin
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer
Member of FileMaker Business Alliance & TechNet