[FX.php List] [OFF] Backup strategy (Drobo)

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Sun Jan 11 13:29:07 MST 2009

Well, I've been poking around, and did find a couple of incidents on
the Amazon site where there were drive failures that sound like
something that was wrong in firmware. However, the rave reviews far
outweigh those problems, and until I'm convinced otherwise, I still
think it's an amazing device.

Going with any type of RAID is out of the question; it takes too much
time to reconfigure it every time a change needs to be made--with the
Drobo it takes as long as it takes to insert a drive into a slot.

Perhaps I came along at the right time, I don't know, but my Drobo has
been flawless from day one. I know that a lot of professional
photographers use them now; one in particular pairs Drobos together so
that he does have a bit more safety, but I won't do that. I think what
I'll do is what I mentioned, I'll take two small HDs and start
swapping them in and out of the bank. It's just too much trouble now
with a lot of web servers, to burn DVDs and then not know until too
late whether they're properly written.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
Twitter: bobpatin
iChat/AIM: bobpatin
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer
Member of FileMaker Business Alliance & TechNet
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker

>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org