[FX.php List] [OFF] Backup strategy

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Fri Jan 9 16:26:35 MST 2009

I have a web server on which the Documents folder (which contains all
the sites) has gotten up to about 9GB.

I backup the folder to another HD on the server, and then pull that
off every week and burn it to DVD-R with Toast. Here's the problem:

Because the archive (zipped) is so large, it gets recorded onto 2
separate disks. This afternoon I wanted to pull up an archive and
retrieve an old site, but one of the 2 disks was corrupted.

I have a Drobo here, which is excellent for backing up my development
machine and laptop, but putting one of those on all of my 7 web
servers would get a bit expensive.

I know about exobyte cartridges, which studios here in Nashville use
for backing up audio projects; is there another solution I should look
into that would be appropriate for something like this? Out of all my
servers, this is the only one whose backup is so huge, and it's a
problem if my backup doesn't restore when I need it.

Thanks for any input,

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
Twitter: bobpatin
iChat/AIM: bobpatin
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer
Member of FileMaker Business Alliance & TechNet