[FX.php List] [Off] Using Clear Text Passwords/Registration Design

Tim 'Webko' Booth tim at nicheit.com.au
Thu Feb 12 14:29:58 MST 2009

On 13/02/2009, at 1:34 AM, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Does anyone have advise or links to reference material on the design
> of well-designed registration/log-in systems, particularly involving
> the sending of passwords in cleartext?
>
> Here's the problem...some end users of a clients project complain
> about receiving their passwords via email in cleartext.  Googling
> the subject turns up an ongoing debate between security and
> convenience.

It should be about reasonable security for the system involved.

A system for banking should be like Leo described.

A user support forum doesn't really need all of that.

So, first define with the client how secure *they* think the system
should be. And then remember that half the people, given a chance,
will use Password and Secret for their logons anyway.

> For reference, I am allowing the end user to specify the password,
> sending the password in cleartext in the confirmation email and also
> sending the password via email in cleartext in the 'retrieve
> password' routine.  There is personal information involved.

How much, and of what? Names and roles in the company are pretty much
public knowledge, where their banking details would be a different
issue.

> An additional question: Are we theoretically protecting from 1)
> eavesdropping on emails as they are being sent, 2) theft of
> recipient's emails/computer after being received, 3) theft/loss of
> the client's database...or all of the above?

Most of this is about 'man-in-middle' eavesdropping on email/interwebs
traffic.

Point 2 - there's very little that can be done by you about physical
security, and it's always the worst issue out of the lot to deal with
(there have been so many cases of highly confidential info being on a
lost laptop/USB/CD that I can't even begin...)

If 1 or 2 occur, then whoever has the chance to login as that person,
so there's your level of risk

Cheers

Webko