[FX.php List] Monitoring FM Server 9/10 Advance

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at mac.com
Fri Feb 6 04:36:00 MST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 3:48 AM, Steve Winter wrote:

> In my experience 99% of issues with FileMaker based solutions (which
> use Apache as the web server) are caused by a problem on the
> Database server, and not the web server... and even on single
> machine installs, the system itself is usually 'live' and so a
> command line based PHP script will still be able to run and send
> email...

I'm more with Gjermund on this. On my 2 machine setup, the Database
server is more likely to have troubles, and when it does it often
isn't alive enough to send the messages. If I don't discover it myself
I get eMails from someone who is wondering why the get error 956 (I
think that's the number) when trying to connect via Custom Web
Publishing.

But when the Apache machine is having troubles the database machine is
pretty quick to send an eMail out saying that there's a problem.

I don't/didn't think that the Apache machine was actively polling the
database machine to see if it was alive, and if not sending an eMail -
I had assumed that the eMails came only from the database machine, and
when it wasn't feeling well it didn't have the wherewithal to send an
eMail sometimes.

(This is with FileMaker Server 9 - I have, but haven't installed yet
FileMaker Server 10)

Roger