[FX.php List] FM SQL capabilities?

Leo R.Lundgren leo at finalresort.org
Mon Feb 2 09:23:27 MST 2009

Dear list,

This is slightly off topic, but may I ask you what the current
features in FM's support for SQL databases are? I know there has been
ODBC support since long, but I am asking about the more "built-
in" (even though I know one still needs the ODBC drivers) support
called ESS.

- I have been reading a bit about it, but I constantly get the
impression that ESS can only /read/ data from SQL sources, it doesn't
seem to be able to create or update records in the SQL source. Is
this correct?

- If so, is it also correct that in order to have a FileMaker
database update one value in a SQL database, I need to use the
Execute SQL script step, together with an ODBC driver?

- If so, is it also correct that in order to update that SQL database
using the Execute SQL script step, I need to have the ODBC drivers
and connections set up on each client, i.e. I cannot have the FM
server supply the ODBC connection used for the updating? I believe so
after reading the following in the ESS tech brief:

	"One important note about the ODBC Import and Execute SQL features
is that they are not able to take advantage of server-side DSNs, as
is the ESS feature set. DSNs defined on a remote host are only
available to ESS operations. Using ODBC Import and Execute SQL still
necessitates configuring a DSN on each client desktop."

- Also, if doing this "update using ODBC", how slow would it be?
Currently I have a solution where a web viewer in FM triggers a PHP
script on a remote server, which then fetches a tiny bit of data from
the FM server and inserts it into a MySQL database on the remote
server. A collegue reports that this is slow and doesn't work
sometimes though, which is why we're investigating other alternatives.

Thank you in advance.

-|