[FX.php List] Save to database without a Submit?

Tim 'Webko' Booth tim at nicheit.com.au
Fri Dec 4 15:13:37 MST 2009

On 05/12/2009, at 8:43 AM, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a client who is very worried about losing form data should
> something should go wrong during a data entry session, such as
> dropped connection or so.
>
> I have already decided to write to the file upon every page submit
> (versus saving to sessionand writing it all at once at the end of a
> multi page form).  On a technical level, I imagine that automatic
> submits can be accomplished using AJAX, perhaps to a temporary file.
> But is this a reasonable practice?

No. And you only need a connection at the point of submission anyway,
as opposed to being always connected like you would for a AJAX submit
on every field... I do minutes off-line into a form, and only press
submit when I am back online - even if I forget, the form fails, and
the Back button shows it all again...

Cheers

Webko