[FX.php List] A nagging question: Foreach

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Mon Sep 22 17:15:41 MDT 2008

Leo,

I use it when I'm pulling data from a single record, like this:

foreach($findResult['data'] as $key => $value);
$field1 = $value['field1'][0];
$field2 = $value['field2'][0];
$field3 = $value['field3'][0];

... and so on. There's no need for a looping structure since your
foundset only has a single record. I use it all the time...

Also, you can use that same method if you want to retrieve the last
record in the foundset. Opposite to FileMaker, which always shows you
the first record in a foundset after a FIND, this method returns the
last record.

So if you get 10 records returned, and use that method above, you'll
retrieve the values in the last record of the foundset, based on the
sort rules you may have used.

bob at longtermsolutions.com
iChat: bobpatin
AIM: longterm1954
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker