[FX.php List] Faster record creation?

Tim 'Webko' Booth tim at nicheit.com.au
Tue Sep 16 23:16:13 MDT 2008

On 17/09/2008, at 2:35 PM, Dale Bengston wrote:

> Very interesting, in a bummer sort of way. I'm curious... did you
> try this with no data returned on record creation?
>
> 	$ReturnedData = $InstanceName->FMNew($returnDataSet = false);

No, but I have now. No difference worth remarking on in small scale
testing back-to-back

OK, it seems the increase in time is just a little below linear.

1 record = done
10 records = c1 sec
100 records = c9-10 sec
500 records = 48-49 sec
1000 records = 85-90 sec this afternoon (and I don't know why the
difference since this morning)

Also mentioning that network is unlikely to be the issue here - on the
office LAN, single machine deployment for the tests.

On a couple of the tests, I happened to see the status bar of the
database, carefully counting up in lots of 9, 10 or 11 records at a
time.

Which led me to then discover something else...
If I start the script, let it run for a second or so, then can it at
the browser with a 'stop loading'... all of the records proceeded to
get added in little groups until all the records are added.

Conclusion: FileMaker makes records relatively slowly - all the data
has been fed in via FX and the script, but FileMaker hasn't said all
is well, so the script doesn't terminate until it gets the response.

Cheers

Webko