[FX.php List] Web Root Directory - clarifying exactly *which* folder?

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 16 12:19:07 MDT 2008

Hi all

I know it's a good idea to keep passwords etc out of the web "root
directory" so no one can access them via the Web.  I generally err on
the side of caution but am curious about exactly *which* folder that is.

On OS X, with the path:  HD/Library/WebServer/Documents/

anything outside the Documents folder is safe, even if still inside
the WebServer folder?

On Windows, with the path:  C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\

anything outside the wwwroot folder is safe, even if still inside the
WebServer folder?

Is that right?

TIA,
-Joel