[FX.php List] fx.php website speed issues

Dennis Dalziel dennis at gandrpublishing.com
Thu Oct 9 07:44:33 MDT 2008

                We have a fx.php website that has been having issues with
speed. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the code, limitations with
Filemaker or the way our server is configured.

                We have a website that is receiving about 400 logins to
accounts per day and users are accessing and editing a database that has
over 100,000 records. Looking at Filemaker's statistics, the number of web
clients at any one time can spike up to 7 but is normally between 1 and 4
clients.

                The problems that we are having are slow response times from
the server and clients are getting timed out and receiving fx errors, it
seems like the database is responding slowly and fx eventually just gives up
trying to get data returned. A few times a day the server will stop
responding all together for a few seconds, it seems as though the Windows
services shutdown and need to take a break, so no one can access the
websites for a time.

                We're running on a Windows 2003 Server machine with a quad
core processor, 4 gigs of RAM, RAID hard drives and a gigatibit NIC card. We
have 2 websites running on this machine, one is very busy and one is not,
using Filemaker 9 Server.

                We've tried to make the code as efficient as possible by
having our Filemaker layouts return only the necessary data and indexing all
of the fields that we can. We may have a few too many calculated fields, not
sure how that would affect the speed or how many would be considered too
many.

                My question is: Is there something that we're missing as far
as the setup of the Windows/Filemaker server? Is there a problem with our
code that we're not seeing or is this about as much traffic as a Filemaker
website can handle and we should look to a SQL based solution in the future
to speed everything up?

                I would really appreciate the thoughts from some of you that
have experience hosting Filemaker websites. We have a very nice website but
I'm afraid that our customer's experience is suffering from the slow

Thanks!

Dennis Dalziel