[FX.php List] filemaker script error catch

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Fri May 30 09:28:25 MDT 2008

Hey Alex

Could you have the FM script set a global to Get(LastError) -- and
then ExitScript if != 0 -- at places it might fail, and then check
the global in the PHP?  Don't know if it would work... just a thought.

As to "not advised"...  That's what I'd always understood but I
emailed with Lance Hallberg about this last year, and he replied:

> ...certainly depends on what the FileMaker script is doing and what
> PHP can do...
>
> FM scripts can be a big load on the server, but in most cases no
> bigger that executing those actions from php.
>
> For example try running a script from the web which creates 40,000
> records.  Now try to do this by purely using PHP.  Notice which one
> is faster.
>
> Consider running batch scripts... such as de-duping... on a large
> set of records.  Large inserts or number crunching scripts will
> always perform better then FM Script execution than by PHP loops.
> Certainly this is mostly due to the need for multiple database
> transactions... to the nth degree.
>
> While the create 40,000 records script is running you can also run
> PHP scripts which perform finds, add & delete records.  You can
> even execute more FM scripts from php while the previously executed
> script is still running.  The notion that the WPE is 'holding back
> other queries until done running the script' is completely wrong.
> I'm not sure how that ended up on the thread but it could be just
> dated facts; perhaps that was an issue with FM 6?
>
> The huge (and unexploited) advantage to running scripts is the
> notion of being able to re-use FM logic that already exists.  Also,
> consider an FM solution using multiple users and access priv's in
> the deployment model.  Allowing some to access the layout used for
> the script or even the script themselves, is a great way to
> disperse application control without leaving the FM environment or
> giving access to your PHP code.  Make sense?

I still generally try to do most processing in the PHP, but good food
for thought.

-Joel