[FX.php List] Split-hosting question

Bill Krauss bkrauss at angelcitydata.com
Sun May 25 09:41:44 MDT 2008

Hi,

This isn't strictly an FX question; please forgive me if it's too off-topic.

One of our clients  is running a locally-hosted FileMaker application
(on FM Server 9) and an ISP-hosted static web site. They want to add
functionality to the website using data from the FileMaker database via
PHP. Installing FM Server software on the shared web host to enable PHP
connectivity is not an option, nor is moving the FileMaker files to a
FileMaker hosting service. The client does not have a dedicated IT
Department and really doesn't want to go into web hosting.

So, we're investigating moving to a 2-machine FM Server solution,
hosting the web site on a co-located, dedicated web server. The idea of
FM connectivity over the Internet, however, makes us a bit nervous.
We're wondering if anyone has experience with this type of set-up and
can offer any guidance. Bandwidth and stability are obviously critical.
Maintenance and configuration issues are also pertinent, because of lack
of IT support infrastructure noted above.

Any tips, tricks, and things to watch out for would be most appreciated.

Thanking you in advance...

Bill Krauss