[FX.php List] AJAX Big Picture

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Thu Jul 24 20:29:55 MDT 2008

I had the same question myself today...

I needed to split the results of a query into two columns. My first
attempt was to create two separate queries, one to retrieve each half
of the records.  After some thought, I realized that I could just
retrieve the entire record set in one query, write it to an array,
and then create the 2 columns from the array.  After even more
thought, I realized that this particular data set was not very
dynamic.  I decided to tell the page to re-use the array saved to
SESSION on the first query, rather than reissue the query each time.

That's how I managed to minimize server load in this case.

HTH,

Jonathan

At 7:11 PM -0700 7/24/08, biscuit technologies wrote:
>Thanks for all the info, it helps. I write everything in a text
>editor, so I think I'm going to try jQuery to start.
>
>I know this is a dumb question - but I want to know what others think:
>What is the best way to write multiple queries in a single page?
>Since I think I'm going to end up with more hits to the db on each
>page load I want to be sure I do things in the most efficient way.
>
>thanks,
>David
>

>On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Tim 'Webko' Booth
><<mailto:tim at nicheit.com.au>tim at nicheit.com.au> wrote:
>

>On 25/07/2008, at 9:30 AM, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:
>
>Phew!
>
>Thanks for the overview, everyone!
>
>In summary, does that mean that Spry, jQuery, prototype  and LaJax
>are different flavors of the same animal?  You choose to use one or
>the other?
>

>That would generally be the case, but I have been known to steal a
>chunk from one of them for particular purposes, even if I don't use
>the entire library of stuff...
>
>And I don't choose dev browsers - I'll use whatever one happens to
>be open, and then test stuff on all the others (and you *really* do
>have to have access to IE - it's quirks mode drives me batty as it
>consistently breaks on valid html and does explode the page to all
>corners of the screen...)
>
>Cheers
>
>Webko

Jonathan Schwartz