[FX.php List] FMP PHP or FX.php...??

Chris Hansen chris at iViking.org
Thu Jan 31 11:03:27 MST 2008

Greetings List!

This inquiry intrigued me.  During the beta days of the The FileMaker
API for PHP (F.A.P.), FX.php seemed a bit faster; and since I have a
little test box in my basement with both FX.php and F.A.P. installed
on it, and F.A.P is no longer beta, I thought I'd throw equivalent
tests at it, and see what popped out.  The results REALLY surprised me:

     * F.A.P.: 14.6196269989
     * FX.php: 1.72123408318
     * F.A.P.: 14.7427921295
     * FX.php: 1.68022203445
     * F.A.P.: 15.8884699345
     * FX.php: 2.96020698547
     * F.A.P.: 14.6040740013
     * FX.php: 1.64016890526
     * F.A.P.: 15.450097084
     * FX.php: 1.72534799576

Average F.A.P. Time: 15.0610120296
Average FX.php Time: 1.94543600082

In short, FX.php is almost 8x faster!  I performed this test by
simulating load using repeated queries via each API repeatedly.  Also,
although the server in question is running the latest version of
FileMaker Server Advanced 9, it only has a developer license
installed, so I had to keep repetitions very low, but I would expect
results to scale similarly as server load and available connections
were increased.  Also, the test box is a Mac Mini, so you could handle
a lot more lot with faster hardware.  I've attached my test code.

--Chris Hansen
   FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
   FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
   Creator of FX.php
   "The best way from FileMaker to the Web."
   www.iViking.org