[FX.php List] FMP PHP or FX.php...??

Leo R. Lundgren leo at finalresort.org
Thu Jan 31 06:27:58 MST 2008

Hi,

I cannot shed very much light upon whether FM PHP API is more
integrated to the server than FX.php, but I doubt it. AFAIK, both of
them communicated with the server using XML and parses it on their
side. The PHP stuff you see on the server and in its permissions are
most likely just administrative stuff FM put in there to integrate
the PHP part with the server as a whole a bit more.

I decided to go with the FM API, mainly because it's object oriented
whereas FX.php uses arrays. I just like to keep it clean and similar
to the rest of my code. I have no doubt that FX.php works just as
well though.

BTW, it would be interesting to see some performance comparisons
between the two? Nomatter which one you choose, having FM as a DB
backend will never be fast, but perhaps there's some difference in
speed between the two anyway? Perhaps they parse XML differently or
something.

// Leo

31 jan 2008 kl. 14.20 skrev Steve Winter:

> Greetings all…
>

> In search of the holy grail, web app speed, I’m looking for;
>
> a.       gut feelings
>
> b.      opinions
>
> c.       evidence
>
> and am interested in all three on which is faster, the native FMP
> PHP interface or using FX.php…?
>

> I was under the impression that ‘native’ FMP PHP is simply an
> alternative to FX.php in that it still uses the xml interface… that
> said I’ve also noticed that in FMS 9 there is actually a PHP
> interface listed, which makes me wonder if in fact it has hooks
> directly into the server….??
>

> As I said, any information greatly received…
>

> Cheers
>
> Steve

-|