[FX.php List] [OFF] OS X vs OS X Server?

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Sun Jan 20 16:22:01 MST 2008

I guess you would have to get a 4-port USB hub.

Across the street from the Moscone Center Tuesday morning, I sat in a
cafe with a guy who supplies ethernet products to Apple; in fact, we
overheard him on the phone saying, "I'm surprised we didn't see M284
(I know it was M-something, but I don't remember the number) today."
So when he got off the phone, we asked him what M284 was, and he just
smiled, said it was something that he'd expected to see at MW Expo. I
figure that must be a new MB Pro, which we'll probably see next month.
He also said, "Remember when Steve said we're only 2 weeks into 2008?
He wasn't kidding..."

Anyway, in our conversation, he told us that Ethernet uses a good bit
of energy, and in addition to the space constraints (the motherboard
in the Air is amazingly small), Apple needed to keep battery life at
an optimal range, and so left out the ethernet port.

It all made sense; after talking with him for 15 minutes, it was clear
that he was a sharp guy and not blowing smoke; he knew some really
interesting things about the MB's ethernet technology, so I took him
as someone who was telling the truth...

Anyway...

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions
      MSN: tech at longtermsolutions.com
      ICQ: 159333060

Contact us for FileMaker hosting and programming for all versions of
FileMaker
PHP • CDML • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation •
Consulting