[FX.php List] [OFF] OS X vs OS X Server?

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Fri Jan 18 14:55:24 MST 2008

Hi Joel,

Except that the server/web configuration is much easier on OS X
Server, there isn't much difference. It's also nice that one usually
finds OS X Server running on server-class hardware!

The biggest problem with OS X Server is the temptation to turn on
other services like FTP since it's all there already. This has come up
on the list before, and there was some disagreement on how much this
affects performance.

I think it's safe to say that things like email and ftp are going to
chew up network bandwidth available to that machine, which will affect
both FMP and the web serving. So, if you can, keep it to FMP and web
serving.

Dale