[FX.php List] Planning ahead for inactive processes

Tim 'Webko' Booth tim at nicheit.com.au
Mon Feb 25 15:12:50 MST 2008

> It's the ability for users to access outdated pages from retired or
> temporarily retired processes, while the rest of the pages stay
> active.  That same process might be turned on again in 6 months,
> depending on customer need, so removal is not the answer.

Got the same issue with a rolling registration system, where most of
the events are repeated on a semi-regular basis.

As each of the registrations can actually be very, very different,
they are also each in their own sub-folder.

However, the events themselves are all marked with a start date (and
additionally, can fill up, or be manually over-ridden) - all of this
results in a calc that has Available, Closed, Full as the possible
results. Every registration start page checks to see what the case is
with that event, and then returns the right code depending on the above.

Means I don't have to turn events on or off, and the code can be
quickly turned around for the next event (you can be sure they've
thought of something else in the 6 months in between, but I can
recycle an event with the minor tweaks in about an hour most times...)

Cheers

Webko