[FX.php List] How much traffic can it take?

Tim 'Webko' Booth tim at nicheit.com.au
Mon Feb 4 15:19:49 MST 2008

On 05/02/2008, at 8:25 AM, Michael Layne wrote:

> I know I'm not offering a dissertation on WHY, but if it's something
> that is expecting a great deal of traffic and hits/bandwidth usage,
> I'd strongly consider MySQL.  It can be infinitely faster.

I'd consider "infinitely" to be a pretty big call...

As a point of comparison, I built a similar type of thing in CDML some
years ago which also showed in the logs as having up to 50 users
towards the closing time of auctions.

Don't get me wrong, there was some slowdown at times [1] but the
system worked - and that was running on FMS5.5 on a G4, with
distribution through a single G4 running Apache and 3 RAIC machines
that were old PII and PIII boxes - IOW, about as far from an ideal
setup as you can get.

The number of users is not the issue - it's the number of database
calls - if each page is making 5 queries, and they're all hitting
Refresh every 2 seconds... well...

Cheers

Webko
[1] We changed the close time to a time when the other systems running
on the same boxes were not busy, which helped a lot