[FX.php List] Approach to update FM data from web input

Tim 'Webko' Booth tim at nicheit.com.au
Tue Aug 26 17:34:09 MDT 2008

>> In my last experience in this arena, I was astonished at how
>> determined one user was to erase every bit of data presented on
>> the  web
>> form.  The customer could just clicked one box to become  inactive.
>> Instead, they felt compelled to eradicate their data.  In  this case,
>> there was a second records for each customer that  contained the
>> original data...the effort was futile.
>>
>> So...what do you folks do?

Depends - for a lot of our systems, if the end user is insistent about
destroying their own data, that's up to them. We'd be required to
remove it if they asked in any case, so they're saving us some work ;-)

That said, for a standard address and contact details update, I'd use
a combination of immediate JS based feedback (Please fill out...) and
some php validation (correct values) to check and display before
comitting as an Edit.

For people who are paranoid, first they have to accept that they will
be doing some work - and then the above, but as a New with a link to
the original record ID so they can compare the records side-bu-side
and then use a script to assign one as the master record with extra
details being put into it and the other record removed/marked for
removal. I don't do this very often ;-)

Cheers

Webko